Overall health is one of the most important things that we have. We often take it for granted and abuse it on a daily basis. Sometimes, we don’t even mean to. With all the chemicals and pollution that we are exposed to today, our immune system is under constant attack. It’s time to fight back.
Every body is different. Each person responds differently to certain things. In the case of my food allergy, my body didn’t respond until I was in my upper 20’s. I never thought about the dangers of food before. Then it happened to me. That’s how life is. For the most part, people are reactive and rarely proactive.
Food is information. Yes, it provides nutrients and fuels the body, but it has a much deeper connection with the brain. The brain processes food as information. It determines where the nutrients go and how much the body needs. It controls everything in your body and how it reacts. The way food tastes, smells, or makes you feel, are all signals controlled by the brain. When that information is plugged into your body’s hard drive, it changes the system’s structure and how it responds.
The body also looks for patterns. It likes repetition because it is much easier to process the data. Muscle memory so to speak. The brain reacts in anticipation of something we know tastes or feels good. It gives a feeling of satisfaction after taking it in. Exercise, for example, is a good example of how the body looks for patterns. The same workout becomes easier until a plateau is hit, causing the gains to stop. It takes a shock, or something new to be introduced, to kickstart the gains again.
I believe that the body can overcome anything. Studies have shown that cancer can be beaten without chemo. Diabetes can disappear from one’s body entirely. Immune systems can be restored.
Here’s 10 ways to kickstart the immune system and optimize health.
- Cut back on on the bad. Try to remove fast food from your diet, along with anything processed. Eat Organic as much as possible to remove the GMO’s and unhealthy additives/preservatives from your diet. Make water your drink of choice.
- Have a smoothie. 3-4 a week can make a major difference in your overall health. Add a healthy mix of fruits and vegetables to a spinach or kale base to give the body a blast of nutrients that it has been craving. It tastes good and feels even better.
- Care for your gut. Everything starts in the stomach (GI Tract). Clean it out by doing a cleanse a couple times a year. Use a probiotic to maintain the healthy flora in your system that keeps you operating at your best. Prebiotics are just as important. In a nutshell, they are fiber, but here’s a list of prebiotic foods.
- Exercise. It is one of the best things you can do for the body and the mind. Get the blood flowing and keep your systems primed. Even 15 minutes a day provides great benefits.
- Take cold showers. I began this after discovering the Wim Hof method. Take a normal shower at whatever temperature you like, preferably hot. Then turn the knob all the way to the right. Try to stay in the water for 15 seconds while maintaining control of your breath. Gradually increase the time as your body builds up to it. Do this at least 5 times a week. The result is a stronger autonomous immune, circulatory, and nervous system.
- Pay attention to the breath. A majority of people do not breathe right. Often we take short, quick breaths, and don’t even know it. After realizing this, I caught myself doing this all the time. It builds toxins in your body and trades oxygen for CO2. This puts stress on the body. Try to always breathe through the nose instead of the mouth. Here’s a more detailed practice.
- Limit stress. For many of us today, this is hard to do. We are on the go all the time. It’s no secret that stress tears at the body and leads to an illness or disease. When stressed, just pause. Take a few deep breaths, and process the moment. Whatever it is, is it really that bad? Is it worth getting angry over? Think about how good you have it overall. Appreciate your life.
- Add some natural oils by diffusing. Scent plays a major role in how our autonomous system reacts and influences mood. Certain oils can be ingested as well. Lemon, peppermint, or thieves oil can provide great health benefits when introduced into a daily diet. Young Living is a great place to start.
- Magnesium. This is a key mineral that most of us are deficient in. It has a wide range of benefits that influence all parts of the body. It also optimizes sleep. In addition to taking a pill, it can be applied topically by boiling water and mixing magnesium hexahydrate or oil into a spray bottle. Be careful not to take in too much magnesium as it can cause diarrhea.
- Stay consistent and keep a positive mindset. This is key to anything in life.
Sleep is also crucial to optimizing the body. But above all else, don’t overthink it. These are tips and tricks that I have learned and use to keep my body functioning the best I know how. Some I use a lot, and some I use less frequently.
But here’s the best trick I know; the one thing that will improve health overall – Enjoy your life. Be thankful for it. Appreciate what you have. And if you want something more, then go for it. Make it happen. Do more. Help others.
You only get one shot. Make it count.
Got any tips or tricks that you use to improve your health? Leave a comment and let me know what works.